Friday, October 23, 2009

Fabulous Friday!

Don't we all love weekends, especially Fridays? Fridays hold such a great appeal, poised on the edge of greatness. Greatness comes in all forms.

Beautiful Fall afternoons spent at the park with Hayden, Mr. Potts, a blanket & a secret carry case of wine. Rainy Sundays cozied up under a fuzzy blanket watching movies. Cool Friday evenings with our favorite carry out. Late Saturday afternoon drinks on an open patio with friends. Greatness in some of its many forms.

Thinking about all the fabulous times that Mr. Potts and I have shared made me a bit nostalgic. It could also have something to do with a long 4+ hour drive from Burlington, VT to Portland, ME. It could be riding the escalator down to the baggage claim at the Charlotte airport and remembering one of my favorite memories with Mr. Potts.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we're coming up on our first wedding anniversary. In a little over two weeks we'll have been married a year.

So, switching up my Fabulous Friday just a bit, I thought I'd share this fabulous memory of Mr. Potts. It's one of my favorites, but also one of my first.

The Background

I used to travel a LOT for my job. It was so bad that the joke of my department was that I was on the road 54 weeks of the year. Get it? Not funny. It was heartbreakingly exhausting.

Mr. Potts and I started dating while I was still with that job. I was gone during the week & home on weekends. It may have actually been a good thing, since we were able to get to know each other without becoming that annoying couple that is always together.

The Trip

It was winter and I had been somewhere cold. I remember that it was a cold trip since I had checked my luggage. Now, most of you may not know this, but I am the queen of packing for a trip. I’m also the queen of the airport – at least in my own head.

I know how to navigate through security without holding people up. I pack a little pair of socks to slip on so I don’t have to walk barefoot. I know which places take Am Ex so I can get a snack to bring on the plane.

I also know how to pack so that I never have to check luggage, unless I’ll be gone for a while to a cold location & will need heavy sweaters & a big coat. That practically guarantees I’ll be checking luggage.

This is how I know it was a winter trip. I was exhausted. I had flown somewhere the beginning of the week, worked my tail off, worked at night and then flown home on a Friday afternoon flight.

Mr. Potts and I had plans for the weekend. Nothing big, still low-key (remember, we’d just started dating). I called him when I was getting ready to depart to let him know I was leaving. “Sounds good,” he probably said, “Call me when you land.”

Inevitably, my flight was delayed. As it always is when its winter & you’re flying later in the day. We circled. And circled some more. Finally, we landed. About 2 hours later than scheduled. Exhausted, I called Mr. Potts to let him know I had landed.

I made my way through the crowds (I can navigate those also – always gracious when people cut me off or stop right in front of me for no reason) to the escalator to claim my bag.

As the escalator takes me down to the baggage claim I see Mr. Potts standing there. Waiting for me. With a bouquet of flowers. I think I may have cried, but only because I was so tired, you know.

He told me that he had missed me. He told me he wanted to make me smile in the airport. He told me he knew I’d be tired and wanted to give me a hug as soon as possible.

I knew I had something special standing in front of me and that I had better not mess it up.

Love you Mr. Potts!
New Orleans picture - Mr. Potts' first trip.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story, you sound like you've got yourself a great man with Mr. Potts! :) I can't wait to hear about your anniversary celebrations - Congratulations!!!

Tara Gibson said...

awww such a sweet story! congrats!

Amber said...

Awww I love this story. Good man you've got there... but then you knew that already.

What is this secret carry case of wine you speak of?? I must have one ASAP!

Have a great weekend, love!

Brittany said...

We were reading each other's blogs at the same time!

This is so cute, I can't wait to hear more. And thank you for mentioning flowers--I didn't even THINK of bringing some to the airport when I go to get Brent next month. (And obviously, so is Mr. Potts.)

You're so smart!

MCW said...

That is such a cute story. I need a Mr. Potts! Have a great weekend...

Dee Stephens said...

What a GREAT story! thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

Aww, that is a GREAT STORY!!
How sweet.

Um, yes Eric..YUM!
Well, he just cut his hair in the episodes I am on now...so I like him A LOT more with short hair. He was not so cute in the Beginning

Whitney said...

That is the sweetest story. I might or might not be tearing up right now.

katie + bret said...

What a fun story! Did you just know it right then that you had a great man?! You would have to I imagine.

Congratulations on your quickly approaching 1 year anniversary! Bring on the paper or the clocks!

Brown Girl said...

Awe, I love that story! You and Mr. Potts make the cutest couple!! Have a great weekend doll!

Abbie said...

That's such a sweet story! Love it.

Brittany Ann said...

So sweet! Nice job, Mr. Potts! We've got some good, good men in our lives!

Tracy said...

That Mr. Potts is a good man Mrs. Potts. What a sweet story.

Annie said...

that is just the sweetest story!! you are married to a fabulous man!! that picture of you two is SO CUTE!!

hope you have a great weekend hun!!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

OMG I just love you guys more & more every time I read your posts. Your niece & nephew are so lucky to have you as an example; they will definitely know what to look for when they are making their own families.