Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's the Simple things

I recently read an article about Life's 5 Most Important Lessons. This article deals with people and aging. I find myself relating to this more and more as I take on a bigger role in my mother's life.

Isn't it amazing that at 5 our mothers are perfect? They can make us happy, they can make us smile, they can smooth our hair and kiss away the tears. I'm not sure where she has gone, but in the last 7-10 years my mother has slowly disappeared to be replaced with a woman who is helpless and can't make decisions on her own. It breaks my heart to see her like this. The added weight that she is carrying on her shoulders does not help her - it tends to make her needy. Mr. Potts and I will be spending more time with her to help her draw up a budget that she can live within. We'll be helping her clean out her house in hopes of one day selling it.

I went with her yesterday to help her obtain custody of my niece and nephew. I sat in the office and handed over my credit card while the angels were "writing" letters to their daddy.

Back to the article. When I read this, it really hit home. With everything that is going on in my life, the lives of others I know and for people I don't know, I thought is especially important to share this. The key points I took from this article are below.
  1. The simple things matter most.
  2. Humor and time cure most pains.
  3. There's more satisfaction in giving than getting. Service to others is the most satisfying activity.
  4. Choose your spouse carefully. It will be your most important decision.
  5. Work hard and in a field or role that you enjoy.
I've begun to chant the first point lately. It seems to have become my mantra. The simple things matter most, the simple things matter most. Sure, we all want happiness and some of the extras in our lives, but what is it that gets us through each day? It is love and happiness. It is the laughter of a small child as their face lights up in love. It is the lazy stretch of my Pepe cat as he is waking up to greet me. It is my happy Hayden and her love of walking with me.

It is my family - whom I love with all my heart. It is my mother - knowing that our roles are reversing and that I will soon become more of a caregiver to her. It is knowing that I can help her - that it may be me smoothing her hair soon and hugging her to help cheer her up.

It is Mr. Potts - my heart. My person who "knows" me. Who "gets" me. Who loves me no matter what.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing that. I think that in many ways it takes an adjustment period to become acclimated to the role of caretaker as opposed to being taken care of by our parents. I am sorry this change is coming about at a difficult time and hope that you all are alright. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Under this Umbrella said...

What a fantastic post. You are such a lovely person and your family is lucky to have you and remember that all things happen for a reason. We are all here to support you if you need anything.

Belle said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. It's so funny how as we get older our roles begin to change to much- whether we choose them or not. We also begin to see and understand what really matters in life and hold those things much closer. Time is so precious and think I life teaches us that in small ways every single day.

In This Wonderful Life said...

what a good post! Thanks for sharing this article. It really makes one think about the things that really do matter!

Tara Gibson said...

what a great post! The people that know you are lucky to be in your life!

Lindsey said...

What an amazing post, love it!!!

Annie said...

aw, what a sweet post! i love it!

littlesack said...

just what I needed. Thanks so much for your support lately. Your comment about you being proud of me, brought me to tears, Im not sure why, I think i just needed someone to say that--to recognize that these things are hard to deal with.

You are continously in my prayers as well.

Landlocked Mermaid said...

This is such a sweet post. You are doing exactly what a family does--- stepping up when the time calls for it. You are a good daughter. your momma raised you well. I know you just adore her and she must be very proud of your strength xo

Wearing Mascara said...

This is an amazingly inspirational post. Thanks for posting - thinking about the simple things is what's most important. Maybe I'll adopt that as my mantra.

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing. Your momma is very lucky to have a daughter like you and your neice and nephew are so blessed to have you in their lives. Your momma and your family are in thoughts and prayers.

The Pink Chick said...

I adore this post! Thank you so much for sharing!

Whitney said...

This is a great post. Something I needed to be reminded of. Thank you for sharing your heart like this!