Monday, August 3, 2009

A weekend tapas

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend! Mr. Potts and I did. Nothing too over the top, just good friends and good food.

My best girlfriend was coming over on Friday night & I decided we'd have tapas. In order to fully enjoy tapas, you almost need to have more than 3 people. Mr. Potts invited a few of our neighbors over and we enjoyed the night.

For our tapas, I made Patatas Bravas, Veal Empanada, Mushroom Risotto, mini Lamb Chops and Herbed Goat Cheese and Prosciutto Shrimp. The Shrimp were a huge hit - so I have to share the recipe. In addition, I made my famous Sangria - the recipe will follow below the Shrimp.

Herbed Goat Cheese and Prosciutto Shrimp

Ingredients

  • 6 oz goat cheese
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chervil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 24 large shrimp, peeled, tail-on and butterflied
  • 24 thin slices of proscuitto
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions

In a mixing bowl, blend the cheese, herbs and garlic together. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Press one tablespoon of the filling in the cavity of each shrimp. Wrap each shrimp tightly with one piece of proscuitto. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed shrimp and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and their tails curl in towards their body. Remove from the pan and place on a large plate. Garnish with parsley.

Mrs. Potts' Famous Sangria

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 lemon
  • 1 lime
  • 1 orange
  • 1 apple
  • 1 pear
  • 1 ½ cups rum
  • ½ cup white sugar – Splenda mix: A little less than ¼ cup
  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
  • 1 cup orange juice

DIRECTIONS

  1. Have the fruit, rum, wine, and orange juice well chilled. Slice the lemon, lime and orange into thin rounds and place in a large glass pitcher. Chop the apple and pear into bite size pieces. Pour in the rum and sugar and then stir in the wine and orange juice. Adjust sweetness to taste.
  2. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to develop the flavors.
  3. When ready to serve, crush the fruit lightly with a wooden spoon

10 comments:

Lexilooo said...

that sangria sounds so good! I wonder if I could substitute scallops for shrimp? I don't like shrimp, but the rest of the recipe sounds so good!

Tara Gibson said...

YUM! I want some sangria now!

Under this Umbrella said...

Yum, yum, yum. Sounds like a great time. Invite me next time. :)

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

LOVE tapas! And, mmm...sangria is my weakness!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

I can't even find the right words for this. I am half-tempted to leave work early to try this, and half-bitter that instead of this for lunch, I'll have store-bought tortellini. Both recipes look AMAZING and thank you for sharing!

Lindsey said...

Mmm that sangria sounds amazing!! And I love goat cheese, mm!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

PS - If the prosciutto is wrapped around the shrimp, how can you tell when the shrimp is pink and no longer that scary gray color?

Hillary said...

That shrimp sounds great. I'm always looking for a way to use prosciutto, hubby loves it.

Belle said...

Yummy! Your neighbors are so lucky to know such a great cook!

In This Wonderful Life said...

yummmmmie! Thanks for the recipes!