Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yes, But...

I was slightly shocked (in a good way) by the emails and comments I received yesterday. I didn't expect so many of you to be dealing with the same kind of funk.

I did a lot of thinking about it yesterday and realized that for me, there were several factors contributing to the funk I was in. You may recognize some of the same ones in your life.

The holidays are over

I know that I love holiday time. I love any reason to celebrate the special things in life. So when January sets in & my world loses just a little bit of it's shine, I miss it.

I miss the softly glowing lights on the houses. I miss the tree so pretty & lit up. I miss the insane happiness that comes with the holidays. I also miss the inner glow that so many people tend to exhibit - the niceness that the holiday season tends to bring out in most people.

Yep, people are back to their grumpy selves. Their, push you out of the way, try to walk faster than you to get on the cardio machine, not let you out in traffic, grumpy selves.

And you know that grump carries over. It's like osmosis of the grump.

Do I have to let it affect me? Not at all. So my answer to the person who tries to speed walk their way past me to get to the cardio machine? Yes, you can have that machine, but I'm still going to work out.

To the drivers stuck in a parking lot? Yes, that person may not have let you out, but I will.

The holidays are over

This means the resolutioners are out in full force. This is also the time of year that some of us (me) tend to look at our health (my body) and see the bad (or the just downright scary).

Sometimes that look can turn into a glare of self loathing.

Yet why? Shouldn't we embrace what our bodies do for us? They carry us through the day.

Landlocked Mermaid had a post yesterday that really touched me. This piece of her post yesterday seemed to reach out & grab my hand to make me really focus on what it said.

When you love someone they are perfect. Even their most obvious flaw is forgiven. There is no need to waste time on things that take away from inner beauty.
I am challenging all of you to do just that. Love yourselves as though there was no time to find faults. No time to pick out mistakes.
Focus on the pretty. The joy that radiates from your hearts. The love that surrounds your life.

LM, I'm focusing on the pretty. When I looked in the mirror this morning I noticed that my stomach is bloated. My answer to that thought? Yes, your stomach may be bloated but it held a plank for over a minute this morning.

I really took what she wrote to heart & I hope that you all will too. We're not perfect, but we still need to love ourselves.

So when you have a negative thought or find yourself in a funk, what will your "Yes, But" be?

21 comments:

Landlocked Mermaid said...

awww you are so sweet .I Look at the wedding pic of you on your blog and see such a beautiful person.. inside and out.. YOU and I will just have to keep spreading this love and forgiveness all over. and soon january will be over and we'll be celebrating spring xo

Gwen said...

Look at you!!! I'm proud of you!!! And...I'm also so glad you combatted the bloated tummy with that plank. I feel that way in the mornings too but then I remember the sweat pouring off of me the night before. I think we are all in need of the spring!! XOXO

Susannah said...

THis is just what I need! Great post, I am in a MAJOR FUNK and I cannot seem to shake it!

MCW said...

You and Ms. Mermaid are both so wise :)

Dee Stephens said...

I was just thinking this morning as driving to work how bummed I was about the holidays were over.
boohoo..
get on with it I guess?
Congrats on that plank and loving yourself!

katie + bret said...

All so very true - I think it's normal to kind of sink down after the holidays have come and gone.

I am glad you love yourself!! We all love you too! Yippee!!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Love Mermaid........love love love everything she has taught me. I am mad at karma for her. It is her turn to be a mommy.....
She inspires me in every way...
Keep the same portion of the post written in my Frankie....(franklin covey planner.) we are so much alike you and I.

Brown Girl said...

Such a great reminder! No one is perfect and being reminded of that is needed from time to time.

USCEmily said...

What a great post!! I needed a reminder like this. I often find myself being grumpy after the holidays, but there are so many things in my life for which to be thankful. Thanks for reminding me!

Jen | Our Life Accounts said...

I used to get the holiday blues every year, I've learned to try and focus on enjoying having a couple of months to spur myself forward towards better habits. I've learned to enjoy Jan-March when it's stil cold and a lovely time to stay home and cuddle under blankets, cook yummy foods, watch movies and work on projects, but without all the crazy commitments of the holidays. To me it's the perfect nesting time because once spring and summer hits I'm all about airing out everything, spring cleaning, being outside and enjoying the fresh air. I've learned that my body hates to work out in the cold and just shuts down so I've brought my weights in and I lift while I watch tv...or I'll hop on the bike or treadmill while I watch tv at home. So much nicer than procrastinating about changing and going out in the cold. Yoga and pilates in front of the fireplace is delicious and I actually look forward to it. :) Hope you have a wonderful day!

Under this Umbrella said...

AWESOME!!! Oh, how I heart you even more after that.

You are so right...I could do a thousand "yes, but..." sentences.

Thank you for sharing this and being your fabulous self. Have a great day!

Ashley said...

Reading what LM wrote and you posted sent chills down my spine (the good kind!)
I looked in the mirror this morning after my shower and thought GROSS. and even sucked my tummy in and out for a good minute or 2. THEN, after I was getting depressed about my middle section I realized how good my skin looked this morning (on my face). Zit free and it just was one of those good make-up/skin days for me.
So I decided to focus on that instead of the extra "padding" :)
Thanks for this post! :)

Carrie said...

What a great post! I've gained a few pounds and have been pretty hard on myself lately. I need to snap myself out of it and follow your advice of saying, "yes, but..."

Whitney said...

I get this way every Januray. I call it holiday let down. I think because so much goes on during mid-November to early-January and then all of the sudden it just stops, it's hard on our systems. Kind of like a shock.

Jenny said...

I totally love your header here. It is really neat. This is rest and recovery time before Spring comes.

Brittany Ann said...

Amen amen amen! Well said! This is so important to remember!

The Pink Chick said...

What a great post! I totally needed to hear this today!

Tara Gibson said...

so glad you are feeling better! The after holiday funk always hits me! especially when i take down all my trees BOO!

Anonymous said...

loved this post! i blogged about it but my "yes, but.." is going to be to try and say thank you when I get a compliment from Dimples!

LWLH said...

What a great way of thinking..I might have to adopt that for myself! :)

Jane said...

I miss the holidays too. Guess we just have to start planning for next year! ;)