Sunday, November 1, 2009

What Month is November?

Everyone is hyper aware of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know that each month of the year typically has 15-20 different "Awareness" Causes associated with it?

For instance, October isn't just Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it is also Adopt a Shelter Dog Month, Celiac Disease Awareness Month, Domestic Violence Awareness Month and Squirrel Awareness Month (really? Squirrel Awareness??). Breast Cancer though has really won the support of so many of us & for good reason. It is a devastating diagnosis as well as something that is highly publicized.

Today, however, is November 1st. Which means a new month of Awareness begins. Alzheimer's Awareness Month begins today. For me, it is personal.

You see, I lost my grandfather to Alzheimer's disease. So this month is about him. Remembering the great man that he was. Celebrating the memories I have of him. Remember how he helped to shape my life. Missing him - as I do every day.

Did you know that it is estimated that Alzheimer's affects 5.3 million Americans today and it is projected that the number of Americans with Alzheimer's could more than triple to 16 million by 2050?

To learn more about Alzheimer's you can go here. To learn about changes you can make to help prevent Alzheimer's you can go here, here & here.


This disease takes the thing most precious to you. It takes your memories. So, this month, I will remember my Grandfather. Because I still have those memories. And I share the Alzheimer's Association's vision: A world without Alzheimer's.

10 comments:

teresa-bug said...

My neighbor passed away last week. He had Alzheimer's the entire time I knew him. It has been so sad to watch the progression of the disease as well as how it has effected his family. What a horrible disease!

MCW said...

My grandfather suffers from dementia. I am thankful he remembers his family, even though he forgets everyday that my grandmother is dead.
I hope Alzheimer's month gets as much attention as it deserves!

Ashley said...

Wow. I really appreciate your post on this. Although I have not experienced this personally, I think it is so important to know the importance of other diseases and months to think about things. I hope this month becomes something more people become aware of!

Kelsey Claire said...

I just found your blog recently and this post made me want to comment! I also lost my grandad to Alzheimer's. Unfortunately my only memories of him were with the horrible disease. I hope that future families will not have to go through what we went through!

USCEmily said...

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. WEG's mother has been diagnosed with early-onset alzheimer's so this really hits home for him and me. Such a sad disease.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I just recently sponsored my friend in an Alzheimer's walk. Such a terrible disease!

Jennifer said...

Its wonderful to see people speak out for Alzheimer's awareness. Not only did I lose my great-grandmother to the disease (a truly witchy old woman, whom I adored), but its also the main philanthropy on my sorority Sigma Kappa. Thank you. Every little thing can make a huge difference.

Brittany said...

I'll be thinking of you and your grandfather this month. Thank you for the lovely post.

Anonymous said...

Great post, we truly need more awareness of this disease. My grandmother passed away from Alzheimer's in 2003. It was pretty terrible to watch her dement and lose awareness and functioning. My husband's grandfather also started to develop Alzheimer's before his death, it impacts SO many families!

I'll be emailing you soon and am thinking of you!
xo

Abbie said...

I'm extremely close to my grandparents, so it's been very hard to call them and realize how much Alzheimer's has taken away from my grandfather. I spoke with my grandmother today, and she mentioned that he always remembers me... but not as 30 and married. Instead he thinks of me as I was before I moved to CO 8 years ago. It's tough to watch (or hear in my case).