Examples: exercise every day for 1 hour, quit smoking, use less foul language, be kinder to people, drink less, eat out less, etc. etc. These aren't my personal resolutions, but ones I've heard before.
Now, I know there are many reasons why people don't keep up with their resolutions, one of the main ones being that it is not realistic to jump right in to something & expect to be able to keep it up.
I asked Mr. Potts if this year, instead of making resolutions (we never really did that formally, anyway) if instead, the two of us could start a new tradition. We're going to begin a New Year Journal. In it, we'll record special moments that have happened through the year. At the end of the year, we'll go through everything we've done and list our 5 (more or less) most favorite memories/events. Then we'll also take a look at our lives and list 5 things that we would like to work on to improve ourselves - either as a couple or individuals.
Some that I can think of off the top of my head are:
- Our Wedding - Friends and family celebrating with US.
- Our Honeymoon - Beautiful and relaxing
- Time we spent with Mr. Potts' family - they've all included me and welcomed me
- My adoption of his grandmother as my own - I send her postcards from where I travel & little notes as well as flowers and gifts so that she'll enjoy them. It really lifts my spirits to know that I have a small hand in reminding her of how much she is loved.
A few things I'd like to work on to improve myself? Hmmm....
- I'd like to be more consistent in working out. I was given this body & I should appreciate the time I can put into keeping it healthy.
- My patience - this is a never ending battle for me, regardless of whether I'm driving, walking in a crowded area or with my mother. I think my lack of patience when I am with her is what hurts me the most.