Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas in Salsa Verde

Mr. Potts and I love Mexican food. It is a favorite night out for us - finding a little, cheap Mexican restaurant. When I made the chile chicken tortilla bake the other night, he brought home two large bags of tortillas, so I told him I'd make some enchiladas for him. They turned out wonderfully - so here is the recipe! Mr. Potts, is that AVOCADO on your plate?

Ingredients

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bottle salsa verde (such as Herdez brand)
  • 3 shredded cooked chicken breasts
  • 8 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • Corn tortillas - I ended up using about 14 tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled queso fresco - I couldn't find this, so I used Monterrey jack cheese
  • 4 lime wedges
  • Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 425°.
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
  • Bring broth to a simmer in a medium skillet. Working with one tortilla at a time, add tortilla to pan; cook 20 seconds or until moist, turning once - this really only took a few seconds so the tortilla didn't tear. I also used a large spatula to remove the tortillas. Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels.
  • Spoon chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up.
  • Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.
  • Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco (monterrey jack cheese).
  • Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Served with black beans made with jalapeƱos & banana peppers & sliced avocado. Yum!

7 comments:

Whitney said...

That sounds soooo good!
I'm def gonna have to try this!
Did you end up getting any of the stuff in your cart at Crate & Barrel?

AmyT said...

yummers! likes and sounds delish!!!!!

Me in Memphis said...

Yum! I love enchiladas verdes. If only I could cook... :)

Clementina said...

Hi!
If you like Mexican food and a good story, perhaps you shoud take a peak at my blog!

Sassy Engineer said...

I think I am in love! I love enchiladas and I love verde enchiladas, but I never had a recipe. Thank you!

littlesack said...

mMmmmmm! totally snagging that recipe. thanks for sharing!

Nette said...

Happened upon your blog and glad I did. Yum...thanks for sharing this. I have to try it.