Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A little red beans & rice

I have not been the best at posting pictures of the dinners I make. I have been taking the pictures, I just forget to download them into my laptop. I'm going to rectify that this evening. I've taken pictures of the butternut squash soup & fontina "grilled" cheese, the chile chicken bake, etc. So come back this evening for some pictures of the yummy foods I've been crafting.

Having lived in New Orleans for a while I had the opportunity to have wonderful red beans and rice, but had never tried to make it myself. My thought was that if someone's mother was going to invite me over to eat hers, it would rude to not go - right? Plus, there were several, um, restaurants that served some of the best around.

Mr. Potts has always professed to a love of red beans and rice, but had never had it from New Orleans. On our first trip there, that was our mission - to get him some authentic red beans & rice. We hit the motherload! We definitely had the best I've ever had! Since that trip, he understands my aversion to variations from our area. It just isn't even close.

Since Fat Tuesday is coming soon (February 24th), I decided that I needed to find a fabulous red beans and rice recipe so that we could enjoy it then. I found a version in one of my new cookbooks and was eager to try it, although it was quite a bastardized version. It turned out wonderful! We both were so happy with how it turned out & considered going back for seconds - even though we weren't still hungry - we loved how yummy it was!!

So, if you're interested in an easy Red Beans & Rice recipe, here it is. I also used andouille sausage (both a chicken & a regular kind to taste test the difference in the two).

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 (3-ounce) chicken andouille sausage links, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning - I used a dash of this instead of 1.5 tspn
  • 3 (15-ounce) cans red beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan. Continue to turn using tongs until cooked through.

2. In a medium pot combine beans, 1/2 cup water, cajun seasoning and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in pepper. Serve over rice.

Oh yum!!

9 comments:

Ali said...

Most recipes for red beans and rice look to intimidating for me to try, but this looks like I might be able to handle it! Sounds great!

Olde Town Style Guide said...

Gosh girl! Its only 10:30 here and you are making me crave red beans and rice!!! :)

Sassy Engineer said...

I agree with Mrs. Stilettos - now I'm hungry too!

Tina said...

I have been looking for a good, authentic red beans and rice recipe. Every other one i've tried, or eaten, has come up short. Will have to try this this weekend. Sounds delicious!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the recipe...I use Zatarains....now I can do it myself!

Island Girl said...

That sounds amazing!!! I might have to experiment with that this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming over for a visit!

Yum on this post!

I went to NOLA four times one year for business and loved every stinkin moment. I love the food, the atmosphere, the humidity, and the garden district. This was pre-Katrina, but I would love to go back!

We have a Mardi Gras parade in a town close to home, and the Wild Indians love getting all the beads. It's on our calendar!

Am said...

Sounds so good! May have to try it out!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Andouille..........so Louisiana. Sounds good.