Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What I've learned...

As 2009 is coming to a close, I've been thinking about what I've learned this year and thought I'd share some of these with you.

I've come to realize that I am a comfort eater. I eat when stressed, upset, unhappy, happy (who doesn't like to celebrate a major accomplishment with a great meal & a bottle or four of wine?) and even tired.

From this, I've learned that I need to be aware of what I eat & the reason I'm eating. Truthfully looking at my eating habits with a sharp eye has made an impact on my weight. I'm fitting into pants I hadn't worn in quite a while.

I'm also seriously upset that I cleaned out my closets a few months prior to this realization & gave some wonderful clothes away.

I've learned that zipping up a pair of pants I haven't worn in over a year and having them fit is one of the best feelings in the world.

I've learned that I can indulge in the things I like, but keep the portion small. Like a bite or two. I've also learned that if I keep the things I really like (vanilla bean ice cream) in large sizes in my home, I'll probably end up eating more than one serving.

I learned who in my life I can trust with the important things. These people are few, which if I'm honest, it a good thing. There are things that I don't feel comfortable sharing with a whole crowd of people.

I've learned that some of my uber healthy meals are also super yummy! Not the holiday party food, though. Not at all!

I keep learning just how wonderful Mr. Potts is for me. He has amazed me with his strength and honesty. He's stepped up to the plate when I've broken down in tears & didn't know how to take another step.

I've learned that the love I feel for my munchkins far exceeds the love I thought I'd feel for them. I've also learned that my disgust for MOTY exceeds anything I thought possible.

I've learned that my relationship with my mom has shifted so that I am more of a caretaker. I've learned I'm ok with this shift.

I've learned that getting up at 4:40 in the morning sucks! But if I do it, I'm done with the gym all day!

I've learned that you shouldn't eat certain foods that make you gassy if you're going to work out first thing in the morning - yes, you, Mrs. "I cover the timer on the elliptical so you can't see I've been on it for way over the 30 minute maximum when people are waiting" Stinky Pants.

I've learned that a Fiber One bar late in the afternoon before you head to a super kick butt Cardio Sculpt class is a horrible idea.

I've met so many wonderful people through blogging & learned that I love it!

What have you learned this year?

13 comments:

LWLH said...

You learned alot of great things...I learned this year you can only plan so much and then the rest is out of your hands

Brown Girl said...

You learned tons of stuff this year! I've learned that saying "no" sometimes is ok. You don't have to do everything!

Brittany Ann said...

This is a wonderful post...but OMG! I have a Mrs. Stinky Pants, too!

Lucy Marie said...

Looks like it's been a wonderful year full of growth and learning for you. All the best in 2010!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

We love you, will remember the fiber bar wisdom :)

Dee Stephens said...

Great post. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

hahah I love how the last two lessons learned involve fiber and/or gas! :)

I learned that there will always be a discrepancy between how my sister and I are treated, that I can voice my opinion and be satisfied with that (even if nothing changes), and that I am a major comfort eater!

The Pink Chick said...

I love this post! It is always nice to reflect on how much we have learned and grown in a year. Wishing you all the best in 2010! I can't wait to read all about it! :)

AmericanTribal said...

This is a great post and it really has a lot of heart: comedy, sadness, love, all the makings of a good read :).

I hope 2010 is just as good (and BETTER!) for you.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

bananas. said...

i've learned that i'm exactly where i'm supposed to be...that after so many of life's challenges i'm finally started to feel at my happiest.

oh and ps. fitting into old jeans is the best feeling :)

Jenny DB said...

LOVED this post. Refreshing read. sounds like youve learned to be very healthy too :) good stuff!!

MCW said...

I love this post...and everything you say about food is so true. Just so heard to realize everyday.

I have learned that I am excited for 2010!

Jess said...

What a great post..... I could be helped by learning a few things that you have learned, lol.

4:40 in the morning? You are a much stronger woman than I, lol.